Saturday, January 29, 2011

To move or not to move...and more importantly, where?

So Shaggy has a promotion test coming up. If he passes and promotes up to MSgt (which I'm very sure will happen, he's been studying like mad), he will be taken off flight and have to move into a back office job again. He doesn't want to do that so much...so he's thought about becoming a 1st Sgt. If he does this it means some good things, but also some things we have to really think about.

 For starters it means he will be 'on call' 24/7, 365.  For those who have no idea what a 1st Sgt does (from wikipedia- who explains it best): In the United States Air Force, First Sergeant is not a rank, but a special duty held by the senior enlisted advisor of a military unit who reports directly to the unit commander. This billet is held by individuals of pay grades E-7 through E-9 (Master Sergeant, Senior Master Sergeant and Chief Master Sergeant), and is denoted on the rank insignia by a lozenge (known colloquially as a "diamond"). Often referred to as the "first shirt", or "shirt", the first sergeant is responsible for the morale, welfare, and conduct of all the enlisted members in a squadron and is the chief adviser to the squadron commander concerning the enlisted force. Most units have a master sergeant in this position, while larger units use senior master sergeants and chief master sergeants as first sergeants.
It's a huge responsibility but I think Shags would make a fabulous 1st Sgt. It also means I'll have to be more involved too.  It's something he's worked very hard at so I will have to do my best: Showing up for events in support, lending a hand if need be, helping w/events and things. I actually like doing that stuff already.
The major thing we've been thinking about though is that we might have to move. I have no idea if I really want to just yet. Kyle will be starting high school next fall, and Laney will be starting kindergarten. Family is close, friends are here. I like this town we're in. I love my house....lots of reasons to stay really, but in the end we will do what we have to. It's a continuous adventure this life. :)

So where should we move then? Well South Dakota looks good, and Colorado looks good too. Which ever,I think we'll be happy. We've looked at so many houses in each state, and my goodness we'd get a huge house for the same cost here for one half as big. I think I might like moving. :D

Jaesus.

1 comment:

  1. "You will address me as first sergeant"
    "But I've already had a first sergeant."

    Haha. Love that movie.


    Colorado and South Dakota are gorgeous. And I'm sure the kids would love love the snow!

    ReplyDelete