Tuesday, March 8, 2011

GiGi

I'm really worried about my Grandmother. She's having some dental surgery this week...which I guess to some might seem minor, but my Grandmother is 80 years old, and has Type I diabetes.

My wonderful Grandmother- Betty
My Grandmother is a spit fire! She's opinionated and sweet and loving. I adore her! She's been a huge part of my life from day one. I spent every summer of my life between her home and my other grandparents. I have tons of great memories and it kills me to see her failing health. She has five grandkids and twelve great-grandkids. :) Brandon and Kyle started calling her GiGi when they were little because "Great-Grandmother" was just a mouthful...and GiGi stuck! The great-grandkids love her so much. Two years ago we had to sell her house and move her closer to my Aunt Carol, Uncle Kendall and my Mom and Dad. She's been living comfortably in a gated retirement community with her goofy dog Precious (a chihuahua/boston terrier mix *if you can picture that mix!*). I guess I'm just nervous about all this because we have all known that these are her twilight years (and I don't mean sparkly vampires) it's been rough on everyone watching this unfold. 
Best GiGi in the world Tshirt
I guess it's bothering me so much because I am realizing that the generational responsibilities going on right now are shifting once again. When I was a kid...about Brandon's age 13 or so...I watched my grandmother deal with my Great-Grandmother's decline in health. My Grandmother took my Great-Grandmother into her home to live with her towards the end of her life. My Great-Grandmother had Alzheimer's Disease. It was heart breaking to watch unfold. My mother was there too of course, and seemed so....'grown up' and 'adult' to me (of course she would seem that way) but I sit here knowing that my mother wasn't much older than I am now when all that happened. I have no idea how she did all she did for my Grandmother and Great-Grandmother. How strong my mother truly is, is really laying on my shoulders now. I am realizing that I too will have to share the load of caring for and helping out with my Grandmother if and when my mom cannot...or my Aunt cannot. And then...for my own parents. Boy that puts things into persepective real quick. 
GiGi with a few of her G-Grandkids
Leif (my nephew), Brendalyn, Cale, Nautie, Irie, and Kyrah (my 2nd cousins)
I hate admitting this...but I'm scared. I'm so very scared. I don't want to lose my Grandmother any time soon, but I can see the writing on the walls. I just hope that the youngest of the twelve great-grandkids get to remember some part of her, in some way. The youngest is not yet one years old. I'm afraid that she will have no memory of her precious and beloved GiGi. I know we will all fill her with stories, and laughter and pictures and film of her. And let her know, if she's a spunky kid like her sibling and cousins are....it's because of her GiGi. I love my Grandmother so much. I love my family. I feel so lucky to have such a great loving group of people to call my own.

Jaesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment