Thursday, September 20, 2012

Baby Name of the Day- Declan




Today's name is Declan.
DECLAN
Gender: Masculine
Usage:
Irish Pronunciation: DECK-luhn
Anglicized form of Irish Deaglán, which is of unknown meaning (though there are theories).
Saint Declan was a 5th-century missionary to Ireland.

The SS list, lists Declan in the number 347 spot for the year 2008. The name Declan first appeared on the SS list only a decade ago in 1998 at the number 710 spot. Declan has slowly risen over the last 10 years.

I personally love this name. On first glance it might be difficult to figure out how to pronounce this Irish name if one is unaccustomed to Irish names. I myself had no idea how to say this till I looked it up myself. Once I had established how to say Declan I let the name roll around in my mind for a while. I really started to warm up to this name over time and now it's probably one of my favorite Irish boy's names. Declan has a very interesting history. Declan came from the traditional Irish name Deaglan, from dag "good" and lan "full" suggesting "full of goodness." St. Declan was the founder of a monastery at Ardmore in County Waterford and may have preached in Ireland before the arrival of St. Patrick. Many miracles are attributed to a rock on the beach at Ardmore known as St. Declan's Stone. According to legend, on a trip back from Wales one of his disciples, Runanus, forgot Declan's sacred bell. But a prayer from Declan and, miraculously, the stone carried the bell over the waves back to Waterford.

Declan is a very nice uncommon name. I think it would be a great alternative D name to the more popular, David, Douglas and Dean; but it's not overly creative and/or "yoo-neek" such as Dekker, Draven, or Denim. Declan has a really nice traditional feel to it that I find really appealing to wide variety of name styles.It pairs well with most traditional, modern and even classic name style.

Middle/First name suggestions for Declan:

Declan James
Declan Connor
Declan Thomas
Declan Henry
Declan Eli
Declan Cale
Declan Bennett
Declan Brody

Joseph Declan
Cody Declan
William Declan
Jacob Declan
Nathan Declan
Benjamin Declan
Ryan Declan
Byron Declan

I really adore Joseph Declan, Declan Cody, Declan Thomas and oddly enough I even like Nathan Declan (I usually cannot stand the name Nathan). So this is one name that would even make the unattractive look nice. :)

Alternatives for Declan are many, but none have the same truly unique appeal. Declan is one of those names that people should be looking towards when wanting a unique name, but instead get caught up in the Jaydon/Kaylee etc crowd. There is unique and then there is "yoo-neek". Unique names are interesting and lovely, "Yoo-neek" names are ridiculous and childish. For public opinion of this name please click on the link below. I asked a question about Declan in Yahoo!Answers:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091105120012AACdqTU

Alternatives for Declan:

David
Decker
Deion
Deacon
Dean
Dayton
Dalton

As I stated before, I truly prefer Declan to it's alternatives. Though Deacon, David, and Dalton are quite nice. I find Declan much more original, and "stand-out-ish".

Overall I think Declan is a seriously masculine strong name. It has great potential and can even spruce up names that I usually consider bland, boring or filler. I think this name is an up-and-comer for the US. A strong established name in Ireland already, Declan is certainly a name that will stand the test of time through childhood into adulthood.

Jaesus

No comments:

Post a Comment