Thursday, September 20, 2012

What is the most overused name poll winner- Michael



Today's baby name is the poll winner. My poll- What name is overused. Winner- Michael.
MICHAEL
Gender: Masculine
Usage:
English, German, Czech, Biblical, Biblical Latin
Pronounced: MIE-kəl (English), MI-khah-el (German)
[key]
From the Hebrew name
מִיכָאֵל (Mikha'el) meaning "who is like God?". This is a rhetorical question, implying no person is like God. Saint Michael was one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus is considered the patron saint of soldiers.
The popularity of the saint led to the name being used by nine Byzantine emperors, including Michael VIII Palaeologus who restored the empire in the 13th century. It has been common in Western Europe since the Middle Ages, and in England since the 12th century. It has been borne (in various spellings) by rulers of Russia (spelled
Михаил), Romania (Mihai), Poland (Michał), and Portugal (Miguel). Other more modern bearers of this name include the British chemist/physicist Michael Faraday (1791-1867) and basketball player Michael Jordan (1963-).

The SS list, lists Michael on the number 2 spot for 2008. Michael first appears on the SS list at the number 46 spot in 1880. Michael dropped in popularity just before the turn of the century but bounced back quickly during the 1900s and steadily gained favor. In just a matter of 10 yrs (between 1933 and 1943) Michael went from the number 53 spot in 1933 to the number 10 spot in 1943. Michael became the number 1 name from 1954-1959, and at it's longest stretch from 1961-1998. It's been at the number 2 spot since 1999 and is holding the spot firmly to this day.

For me personally, this is my least favorite boys name. I don't necessarily find the name awful sounding or looking, but it is very common. I think everyone knows a Michael, Mike, or Mikey or even a Mick. This name has been used so much that it is one of those that most anyone will have in their family tree. The continued usage of Michael I've concluded is due to two factors.
The first factor- Family Tradition. Many people who chose to use Michael do so because it's a family name. Either dad, grandpa or even great-grandpa carried this name (maybe even an uncle, cousin or brother). I myself have an Uncle Mike and a first cousin Michael. While well meaning as this may be, I'd rather use a less common name. For instance My Uncle Mike's full name is Michael Warren A. I would much rather use Warren as a way to honor him than Michael. My cousin Michael's full name is Michael Scott, and while Scott is also common it's not near as over used as Michael. Another alternative way to honor a "Michael" family member would be to use a variant, such as Micah or Michel.
The second factor- Lack of creativity. Michael is a default name. It's one of those names that truly "fits" any name on the planet. Everything from Michael Bronx to Kingston Michael to Thomas Michael and Michael Lee....it just goes with everything. I've seen some people using it as a middle name to 'tone down' a wild first name. I've seen some people use it as a middle name to buffer an awkward first name. I've seen it used as a filler name when nothing else could be thought of.

For the most part I've seen Michael used for family, but on occasion I've seen it used in a desperate subconscious attempt to normalize a trendy first name. By using the well known Michael some parents hope to make it "acceptable" to name their child things like Falcon, or Blaze, or Jaxon, or something equally "yoo-neek" in sound or spelling.
I have no misgivings about the legitimate strength of the name Michael. Michael the Archangel gives one a very powerful visual of the name Michael. Hair of spun gold, handsome face, broad shoulders and masculine features....ah yes, and those ivory colored wings of course. ;)
In all honesty Michael carries no such visual appeal for me personally. Michael's in my mind are tall, slightly rough looking, dark hair and olive complected; a bit cocky and very obstinate...a ladies man so-to-speak. That is just my impression and oddly enough has no resemblance to the relatives who carry said name; in fact, both are blonde, reserved, single, and somewhat attractive...not handsome, but pleasant. For public opinion on this name here is a question I asked about it on Yahoo!Answers-

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091104120249AAhRYKR

I find the "middle/first" combo section of my review utterly pointless as Michael goes with anything really, but for the sake of doing this review properly I suppose I should put forth the effort. lol Some name suggestions I detest, but I wanted to put across my point that this name truly is a default.

First/Middle suggestions for Michael-

Michael Weston
Michael Bradley
Michael Hayden
Michael Sean
Michael Donovan
Michael Chase
Michael Rikker
Michael Brody
Michael Connor
Michael Jaydon
Michael Camden

Felix Michael
Aidan Michael
Henry Michael
Phoenix Michael
Bronx Michael
Thomas Michael
James Michael
Foxx Michael
Finley Michael
Rainier Michael
Warren Michael
Tennyson Michael

etc.

Alternatives for Michael (are much much nicer than Michael IMHO and should be considered more often and more seriously!)

Micah
Michel (French, pronounced Mee-shell)
Michon (mee-shawn)
Micaiah (muh-kye-uh)
Miguel
Mika (mee-kuh)
Mikhail
Mikko
Mitchell
Mitch
Marshall
(a stretch the last 3, but still)

The alternatives that I like the most are Micah and Mitchell. Micah is such a wonderfully under used name on boys, and I'd love to stop this trend with using it on girls. I find nothing about that name girly in the least. It's a darn shame how we are butchering our traditional boys names today into "tryndee" garbage for girls.

Overall I find the name Michael DOA in this day and age. I don't think it's an awful or socially awkward name, but it's boring non-the-less. I would highly recommend an alternative name or a different one all together. I would really love to see this name drop in popularity and other names like Marshall and Mitchell, even Micah and Mikhail take some of the brunt of the Michael over load. It's about time for a refreshing change to the SS leader board!

Jaesus

No comments:

Post a Comment