Thursday, September 20, 2012

Baby Name of the Day- Amelia




Today's name is Amelia.
AMELIA
Gender: Feminine
Usage:
English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, German, Ancient Germanic
Pronounced: ə-MEE-lee-ə (English), ə-MEEL-yə (English), ah-ME-lee-ah (German) [key]
Variant of AMALIA, though it is sometimes confused with EMILIA, which has a different origin. The name became popular in England after the German House of Hanover came to the British throne in the 18th century - it was borne by daughters of George II and George III. Another famous bearer was Amelia Earhart (1897-1937), the first woman to make a solo flight over the Atlantic Ocean.


The SS List, lists the name Amelia at the number 68 spot for 2008. Amelia first appeared on the SS list in 1880 at the number 96 spot. Amelia slowly lost popularity over the next 100 yrs, coming in at number 314 in 1980. After 1980 Amelia started to slowly gain popularity and by 2004 was in the top 100 at the number 96 spot. Amelia continues to rise in popularity till today at the number 68 spot.

I personally adore the name Amelia. It was at one time my favorite name for girls. Only recently sliding down to the number 2 position on my favorites list. Amelia is a very sweet feminine name. It has always brought to mind a sweet little girl, with bouncy curly hair and deep blue eyes. I also love the historical background of this name to Amelia Earhart. She was a strong woman who braved a world who was none too accepting in the advancement and equality of woman, yet her name is so soft and feminine. To me this is the epitome of womanhood. A strong woman need not have to have a "masculine" name to be considered an equal among men. Far too often I see little girls with masculine boys names, as if the parents are trying to make up for not having a son; or perhaps because to them giving them a masculine name some how makes them feel as if their child will be more of an equal among men. I find this truly sad, because a woman can have a beautiful feminine name and be strong.

There are many first/middles that I find nice with Amelia. The -a- on the end lends a very wide variety of names that would flow very well with Amelia. Names ending in -a- (in my opinion) are very easy to pair with harsher or blunter sounding names, perhaps ending in a -k- sound or an -r- sound.

First/Middle combos-
Amelia Claire
Amelia Joy
Amelia Corinne
Amelia Rebecca
Amelia Dawn
Amelia Jocelyn

Catherine Amelia
Louise Amelia
Jacqueline Amelia
Genevieve Amelia
Darcy Amelia
Verity Amelia

When it comes to first/middle combos a bit of thought does need to go into it, but Amelia is a fairly easy name to pair and it matches very well with a wide variety of names. For public opinion about this name click on the link to the question I asked on Yahoo!Answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091107185450AA6rphD

There are a few alternatives for Amelia that I truly do love, and some that I don't much care for. However, I will post all alternatives that I can find.

Alternatives:
Amelie
Amena
Amery
Emily
Emele
Emilia
Emilie

I do like Amelie and Emilia. I think they both have great potential and are very nice uncommon alternatives to Amelia. I don't think something overly unique like Amery or Amena would be doable as an alternative for Amelia, and to be honest I don't think they would be great names at any rate. They are a bit childish in pronunciation and awkward in spelling.

Overall I find the name Amelia one of the sweetest, loveliest, and well rounded feminine names. This name will grow very well from childhood to adulthood. The name is very powerfully feminine and I would suspect that Amelia will be a very nice strong feminine name for years to come.

Jaesus

No comments:

Post a Comment